Sunday, September 13, 2026

TPB A DAY 007: Yan - NAY!

SPECIAL EDITION SUNDAY: I didn’t just read one TPB - I read the entire series (Volumes 1–3).

NAY - Deciding to give this series a NAY was not an easy choice. The series was nominated for two Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards in 2026, and there was a part of me that kept wanting this book to be good while I was reading it. But my brain simply couldn’t let go of the issues I kept seeing again and again. On the surface, this series looks and feels like it’s firing on all cylinders. The artwork is striking, the presentation is polished, and there’s clearly a lot of ambition behind it. But under the hood, the engine just doesn’t quite hold up.

The artwork needed a stronger editorial eye, while the story has noticeable holes and isn’t fleshed out in the way it needed to be. More than anything, I kept coming back to the feeling that this book was missing a good editor during its creation - someone who could have helped tighten the storytelling, smooth out the rough edges, and push the series from interesting to great. That said, this wasn’t a hard NAY for me. There’s enough here to make it worth checking out, and I’m still including a link to the book below. I just couldn’t ignore the recurring issues that ultimately kept me from giving it a YAY.

DORK PLAN: I’m going to read one TPB a day from my 5,000+ strong TPB collection. I’ll post the one I read here the next day with a YAY or NAY, and maybe a line or two about what I thought. NOTE: Got a TPB you want me to read? Drop it in the comments! If I have it, I’ll give it a review.

No comments: