Saturday, April 24, 2021

Rob's Room: Jim Steinman, 1947 - 2021

(I somehow managed to delete this post last night...)

Jim Steinman
1947 - 2021 

A Toast to Jim Steinman: The Songwriting Powder Keg Who Kept Giving Off Sparks

We lost a music legend this week. The funny thing is, I didn't even know his name until after his death (which is surprising since I'm probably a bigger music nerd than comic or film nerd). Jim Steinman wrote some amazing bombastic and power chord driven songs that impacted my childhood tremendously. Critics  tended to hate his songs; I absolutely loved them! Below are three of my favorite tracks... but the breadth of his work is impressive, writing and producing songs for: Fire Incorporated (He wrote "Tonight Is What It Means to Be Young" after Bruce Springsteen refused permission to use his song for the "Streets of Fire" film); Bonnie Tyler ("Total Eclipse of the Heart" and "Holding Out for a Hero"); Meatloaf ("I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)"); Air Supply (the dreadful "Making Love Out of Nothing At All"); and Sisters of Mercy ("This Corrosion""). Thank you and cheers, Mr. Steinman!


Neil's Suggestion - Added by The Dork

3 comments:

Neil A. Hansen said...

Hunt down Exit Eden’s version of Total Eclipse of the Heart. You will be glad you did!

Rob said...

Haha! The song is so wonderfully melodramatic... It lends itself to the power chord metal genre. The cover did lose a point for me as it excluded the "turn around bright eyes" moment. Thanks for sharing, Neil! I wouldn't have heard it otherwise. :)

Neil A. Hansen said...

Always aim to corrupt!