Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Many Faces of Dr. Rudy Wells - You know the guy who built the Bionic Man!

Dr. Rudy Wells: is a continuing character in both the The Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman series, and one of the only three continuing characters created by Cyborg author Martin Caidin to be maintained in the TV series (the other two being Oscar Goldman and Steve Austin himself). Dr. Rudy Wells is responsible for overseeing the bionic implants of Austin and Jaime Sommers in the 1970s and, in succeeding years, other bionics recipients.


Martin Balsam: was the first actor to play Dr. Rudy Wells and did so only in the original pilot - The Six Million Dollar Man - The Moon and the Desert (1973)


Allan Oppenheimer: Beginning with the "Wine, Women and War" TV movie and continuing to the end of season 2 and "The Bionic Woman -Part II". Oppenheimer, however, would return for a one-off appearance as Wells in the Six Million Dollar Man episode "The Bionic Criminal".


Martin E. Brooks: would become the third and (to date) final actor to play the role, beginning in the third season episode, "The Return of the Bionic Woman". Brooks would go on to play Wells throughout the run of the Bionic Woman spinoff series, and also return for the reunion films.

Dork Note: The Martin E. Brooks Rudy was the one I liked the most growing up.

2 comments:

Nighthawk said...

I was a child back in the 70's when I was watching the Six Million. Dollar Man, and later the Bionic Woman. It's great I can watch it on Peacock now in my 50's. I didn't care much about the Bionic dog, I really thought it hurt the show to me(Bionic Woman) adding that. I still think they should have focus on adding more bionic features to Steve and Jamie. I still love the show and I'm glad I could watch it all again on Peacock.

Omar Johnson said...

NightHawk