Sunday, January 9, 2011

Art Challenge - Fix a Rob Liefeld Drawing

Clipped from a blog I found on-line:
I guess this type of thing is a bit of a joke amongst a lot of artists around. Personally, I was not familiar with this man's work until I had to start doing research for this assignment. If you've ever read anything on this blog, you probably know I'm an animation whore, not a comic whore. So it is all too common I am unfamiliar with comic book artists. I'd heard his name before, usually in a joke context whenever my coworkers were talking about sub-par drawing skills, or artists whose hype was bigger than their talent. But apparently this guy was pretty famous at one time.....


I've got nothing personal against the guy myself. I'm sure he's somewhere rolling in money laughing at all his critics. But this was the challenge of the week, so here it is.

The assignment was to find a Rob Liefeld drawing and fix the anatomy, the perspective, draw the feet, just generally improve the thing. So I chose this one being that it had a few things that needed improving. The perspective was off, there were random shadows over people's faces for no apparent reason...so I did my best. But in fixing the perspective, I cut off the foreground girl's feet, so does that make me just as bad?

No comments: