Thursday, May 9, 2013

Want It Got It TPB: Will-O-The-Wisp and the Tarantula

UPDATE: Coming Soon as a TPB at Amazon - 12/10/13:Spider-Man: Mark of the Tarantula - This TPB includes Amazing Spider-Man (1963) 231-237, Annual 16. 


Writer: Roger L. Stern
Artist: John Romita Jr.
Publisher: Marvel Comics (1983)
Includes: The Amazing Spider-Man #234-236

While going camping as a kid we stoped off at a general store to pick up supplies. I bought Amazing Spider-Man #235. It was the middle issue in the above story arc, but its tragic message stuck with me..."be careful what you wish for."

Clipped from Wikipedia: Tarantula was hired by the Brand Corporation to silence an informer, but was thwarted by Spider-Man. The Brand Corporation then ordered him to kill Spider-Man. In an attempt to bestow him with spider powers, he was injected with a mutagenic serum and placed in an electrolyte bath. Unfortunately for Rodriguez, Will o' the Wisp disrupted the mutagenic process, causing Tarantula to start transforming into a gigantic, monstrous spider-like being.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog!

I had this issue at the time and I remembered being really shocked at the fate of poor old Tarantula. When he threw himself off the building into the hail of bullets, it blew my mind!

Up unit that point I don't think I'd seen any big comic characters 'bite the big one" so this story has always stayed with me.

I also remember around that time the White Tiger being kidnaped and shot. I remember him being thrown out of a car all messed up and Spiderman finding him. I can't remember if he died or not.

Great stories, thanks for bringing those memories back.

Cheers

G