Friday, August 10, 2018

Rob's Room: The Meg (Non-Spoiler) Review

I'll admit I was sold on THE MEG concept since first hearing about it going into production a few years back.  I love JAWS and have always had a soft spot for DEEP BLUE SEA (the later being one of those movies I'll always end up watching when it's on TBS, USA or some other shitty cable station with far too many commercials).  Is this as good as JAWS?  Don't be ridiculous.  Is it as good as DBS?  I'll be honest... "no", but it's not that far off!  Had they gone for an R rating, it might've had more teeth (...groan...); it has a couple of jumps, not too many real scares (I'm talking to you DORK!), and a lot more laughs than expected. You'll start by cringing at the cliches and dialogue before realizing the film movie has been in on the joke the whole time.  At that point, you can (hopefully) let yourself sit back and enjoy it.  Is it dumb? Absolutely! But it's dumb fun!  I regret not having seen DEEP BLUE SEA on the big screen.  Was glad to not make the same mistake with THE MEG!  If you don't take your b-movies too seriously you can have some fun.  I look forward to repeatedly watching this on TBS in the years to come.  Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

You make me humble with how complete your posts are. I hope you do more reviews. I felt the same way you did. It was fun but it could have been a lot MORE fun. Love me some Deep Blue Sea. Many fine deaths in that one and as always, the black guy lives.