Saturday, July 23, 2016

Rob's Room: Star Trek Beyond

My (non-spoilery) review of Star Trek Beyond:
Mindless fun. It's not the Star Trek that I, personally, like... but it's not terrible. Some of the fight scenes felt muddled visually, but I liked the cast and the effects were terrific. Was really dreading the motocross Kirk seen in all the trailers... but it (surprisingly) worked for the story. I look forward to reading all the easter eggs that appeared (OK... the next sentence could be a small spoiler: I liked that some of the antique computer graphics reminded me of Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock on the USS Grissom - I imagine that was intentional).
Overall, I was hoping for more, but expecting less... so I guess that's a good thing?  It's worth seeing on a big screen.  Just makes me want to watch a final Star Trek: Axanar fan film to see if they were able to find the heart of Trek that I prefer.
Would love to hear other opinions!
One more thing... I missed Science Officer 0718:
Enterprise cutaways:
 Join Starfleet by Lyndon Willoughby:
 Star Trek - Yesterday's Son by Two Dots:

1 comment:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

It was the best of the three movies for sure. But do we really need them? I can take them or leave them.