Monday, August 5, 2013

Rob's Room: Craig McCracken’s New Animated Series, "Wander Over Yonder"

I can't wait to see Craig McCracken’s (Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends) new animated series, "Wander Over Yonder," which comes to Disney Channel in September.  In the meantime, you'll just have to hum the opening title song like me!

Artist, Joe Pitt, talks about he challenges of this title sequence (originally found at Comics Alliance):
I had the awesome opportunity to work on the intro for “Wander Over Yonder". It was a hugely fun challenge because the question given to me was " I want to change the background and location on every beat and sometimes half beat using a fast tempo song…. Can this work or will it be a huge visual mess?" We decided that really the only way to find out was to do a test. I whipped up a quick test with David Gemmill’s walk cycle and from it, we decided that as long as your character stays mainly in the center of the screen and that your ground plane and perspective remained constant and locked, then you can get away with a lot of visual change around without giving the audience headaches or seizures. After that proof of concept, we had a small crew generate rough, but almost final artwork for everything needed and I composited and cut together the intro above.

No comments: