Wednesday, June 1, 2011

DC Reboot News

Dork Thoughts: Every site is covering this news and everyone is weighing in on it.

So here is my two cents worth.

Rebooting is nothing new for DC, it happens about every 30 years....The Silver Age was a reboot. Crisis was a reboot and now this.

Why do a reboot?

Because comics are serial stories; which have to get bigger and more convoluted as time goes on to keep readers interested. This creates hard core fans, but pushes out the casual reader.

The question I have for DC is... "Have you learn anything from the NEED to reboot?"

If I was DC I would move all my comic series to self contained story arcs...think volumes. Every year a new volume with a beginning, middle and end.

This way the monthly serial beast does not have to be feed by filler, but interesting stories creators want to tell.

At the end of the day what makes me read a comic is not the fights, but the story!

It is not the "what", but the "how" and "why"; which makes me keep coming back to a book.

No comments: