Saturday, December 9, 2017

Rob's Room: Batgirl v Joker Controversy

The Batgirl Cover Controversy, Explained For Casual Fans
Original artwork by "provocateur" Brian Bolland from The Killing Joke:

Artist Rafael Albuquerque's statement:
For me, it was just a creepy cover that brought up something from the character’s past that I was able to interpret artistically. But it has become clear, that for others, it touched a very important nerve. I respect these opinions and, despite whether the discussion is right or wrong, no opinion should be discredited.  My intention was never to hurt or upset anyone through my art. For that reason, I have recommended to DC that the variant cover be pulled.
Updates!
It seems like DC is punking us with this last image by intentionally bringing back the controversial cover...

1 comment:

DeadSpiderEye said...

Call me a cynic if you like but the controversy over the cover doesn't ring with the knell of veracity. I'm not saying anyway fibbing mind you, just that publicity department may've taken a little licence with some, over demonstrative on-line behaviour.