Friday, May 31, 2013

Star Trek: Into Darkness Review by My name is Joe...

...and I have been waiting a long time to enjoy a sequel more than I enjoyed its predecessor.


Do you remember that feeling you had when you coughed up the $13 for the Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen movie? Remember how amped up you were thinking how this movie was going to wipe the original away? Do you still get the twitch in your eye and the pain in your gut when it shows up on cable? The disappointment of transformers still haunts me to this day. I have to admit; I too had quite a bit of apprehension when I walked into the movie theatre ready to enjoy 2+ hours of J.J. Abrams brain child. Within the first ten minutes of the feature film all of my worries were put to rest.

The relationship between Zachary Quinto and Chris Pine as Kirk and Spock was both entertaining and meaningful. I loved how each played their perspective rolls with a hint of homage to the original characters, but also adding their own flare and style to the iconic personalities. At no point was I ever tired of just watching them be Captain Kirk and Commander Spock. From that anchor the cast as a whole branched out and easily swallows you up in the midst of their story.

However great the acting of Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg, and John Cho was, they were completely eclipsed by Benedict Cumberbatch performance. He is both dramatic and intense, and he khan act the hell out any roll he’s in.

Finally, the last bit I enjoyed about this movie comes from J.J. himself. I love how he is inserting the humanity into an old and honored story. I have grown up watching Star Trek: TNG, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise, and with the exception of Enterprise, they all leave out a believable vision of the human condition. In this new reality we get a glimpse of what it would be like to actually be a group of people tasked with exploring dangerous space and making difficult yet necessary risks to protect the ones they love. I see shadows of it in First Contact and Deep Space Nine: Tears of Angels, but I have never have seen it done so well and completely like Mr. Abrams has.

No comments: