Friday, December 12, 2008

Review by the Dork: Breathe

Writer: John Sheridan
Artist: Kit Wallis
Publisher: Markosia Enterprise(2007)
Price
: $19.99 (Hardcover)
Format: TPB
Includes: Breathe #1-4

The Dork Review is meant to be a positive and fun site celebrating what we enjoy and not what we hate. So I usually won't be commenting on a book if I don't particularly like it, but sometimes a book rides the good/bad fence for me. Breathe is one of those books.


In some ways I like the book, especially the art. I like the serene quality to it as it reminds me of the one issue comic Joshua Middleton put out called Sky Between Branches. The soft quality could have been really contrasted by the harshness of the acts in the book.

But something in the story or the way the characters talk doesn't draw me in but pushes me out of the story. I think this had the potential to be more. If the creators had had a stiff critique before publication I think this book would have shined.

I know it's hard to go back, but I would like to see this story if it was reworked and republished.

No comments: